I thought that I’d make a dish with seitan and had the idea of combining potato into the main course. I thought I’d chop potato into small cubes and pressure cook, then mix in seitan and frozen peas. I ended up also mixing in mushroom; both peas and mushroom were frozen, so I cooked for another “zero minutes” (i.e., just let the cooker get up to pressure and then stop) at low pressure. Here is what I did.
- 3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes cut into 3/8″ cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 clove garlic, finely (1/8″) diced
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 ounces of seitan (I used strips but any cut would be fine, according to diner’s preferences)
- 3 cups (about 4 ounces frozen) mushroom slices or pieces
- 1 cup peas
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8-1/4 t (as per preference) oregano or jerk seasoning (I used jerk seasoning)
- I put the potato, garlic, and water into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked for 2m.
- After the cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure, then mixed in the seitan, mushroom, and peas; the water was a bit low so I added another few tablespoons water (the potato even at just 2 minutes was nicely cooked!).
- I cooked for “zero minutes” at low pressure.
- When I was ready to serve, I opened the pot slowly, and added salt, pepper, and jerk seasoning, and served, along with brown rice and corn.
Ideas for the future
I bet I could add all the ingredients at once, frozen and fresh, and cook for 1 or 2 minutes under pressure. What a fast way to an easy, tasty, and nutritious meal! Carrots would have been nice in this dish, and sauteeing mushroom and adding at the end instead of cooking with the other ingredients might be a nice difference.
Labels: Instant Pot, No Added Fat, seitan