I’m so excited that friends of mine just had a baby and I’m first in the meal train to bring food over! It’s always a privilege to be able to be connected in any way with a new baby and I’m thankful that I get to take food over.
I like to include fenugreek when I cook for new Moms to help stimulate lactation; I don’t like the flavor of fenugreek but when I cook with it, I always make sure that the fenugreek is enveloped with many other strong flavors so it doesn’t show through. Here is what I did.
- 3 cups red split lentils
- 2 cups kale (I used frozen, but fresh is fine)
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups carrot (2 medium carrots) cut into 3/8″ chunks and then halved
- 1T finely (1/8″) chopped ginger
- 2 medium cloves garlic, finely (1/8″) chopped (about 1 1/2 T)
- Vegan bouillon cube
- 1t turmeric
- 1t garlic powder
- 1t cumin seed
- 1T fenugreek seed
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups chopped bell pepper (approx. 1/4″ x 3/4″ slices)
- 2 cups onion cut into 3/8″ cubes (I used about 1/3 of a red onion and 1/3 of a Vidalia onion)
- 4T lime juice
- 2t salt
- Split lentils cook in a ratio of 1 : 2-2.5 parts water for 13-18m under pressure. I went with a 1:2 ratio for a thicker dhal for 16m. I put all of the ingredients except the onion, lime juice, and salt, into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked for 16m.
- After the cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure, then mixed in the bell pepper, onion, lime juice, and salt.
I took this over along with long-grained brown rice (cooked in a 1:2.5 ratio for 45m) and various salad ingredients (arugula and mixed cherry tomatoes). I made a simple chickpea miso – mango dressing (a combination I’d not tried before but I think it came out well; I blended 2T miso with 1/2 t black sesame seeds – a great source of calcium, a medium shallot (maybe 2 T), 1T mango chunks, 1T maple syrup, and 1/8 t salt. When I come home, this will all also be my dinner!
Ideas for the future
Labels: Cauliflower, Gluten Free, Instant Pot, Kale, Lentils, No Added Fat