I wanted to make a pinto bean dish today. Here is what I did.
- 1 cup pinto beans, rinsed, soaked for at least 5 hours, and rinsed again
- Enough water to just cover beans
- 2 Yukon Gold potatoes cut into 1/2″ cubes (about 2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1t finely chopped ginger
- 1/2 t turmeric
- 1 1/4 cup chopped spinach (I used frozen but fresh would be fine)
- 1 1/4 cup onion cut into 3/8″ cubes
- 1 3/4 cups (large bell pepper) bell pepper cut into 3/8″ cubes
- Juice of 1/2 lime (or lemon)
- 1/2 t (or to taste) salt
- I had my wife put the beans, water, potato, garlic, ginger, and turmeric into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and set it to cook for 30m.
- After the cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure, then mixed in the spinach, onion, bell pepper, lime juice, and salt, and served, topped with a bit of salsa (no salsa for my daughter’s portion).
Ideas for the future
I could have added more vegetables, such as possibly broccoli or corn, but the dish was good as I made it. My wife had forgotten to include a vegan bouillon cube when she cooked the beans; it would have added a bit more flavor. Were I not cooking for my daughter, some jalapeno would have gone well with the main course.
Labels: Beans, Gluten Free, Instant Pot, No Added Fat, Pasta