I have a little Miyoko’s Kitchen vegan mozzarella left and thought I’d make an eggplant dish with some cheese. Eggplant cooks nicely (in just 3 minutes!) in the pressure cooker, so I started that going. By the time the eggplant was done, it tasted great with no cheese, so I skipped the cheese. Here is what I did.
- 5 cups eggplant (skin intact) cut into 1/2″ cubes (maybe 4/5 of a medium eggplant)
- 2 cups shelled edamame
- 2 packed cups kale, hand-ripped into roughly 1″ squares
- 2 cloves garlic, finely (< 1/8″) minced
- Vegan bouillon cube
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup onion cut into 1/4″ cubes
- 1/2 t tarragon (I couldn’t find my tarragon so used oregano instead)
- 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 t salt
- I put the eggplant, edamame (I used frozen; if fresh, I’d just mix in at the end), kale, garlic, bouillon cube, and water into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked for just three minutes.
- After the cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure, then added the onion, oregano, pepper, and salt.
I served with whole wheat orzo and a salad.
Ideas for the future
My original idea would have worked if I had integrated tomato into the cooking, maybe making some sort of ratatouille or caponata. I should try a Turkish Imam Bayildi dish sometime!
Labels: Instant Pot, Kale, No Added Fat, Pasta