Brussels Sprouts are on sale and I had a 1 pound bag of them. I thought that I’d use the Sprouts and cook them with baby lima beans, starting with a gentle saute of the Sprouts. Here is what I did.
- 1/2 cup onion, cut into 1/4″ cubes
- 1 garlic, finely (1/8″) diced
- 1 pound Brussels Sprouts (I counted 34), outer leaves and ends trimmed and then halved (almost 4 cups)
- 1/4 + 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 t salt
- Vegan bouillon cube
- 2 cups frozen baby lima beans
- 1 1/2 cups carrot (I used one large carrot) cut into approx. 3/8″ slices
- 1/2 cumin seed
- 1/4 garlic powder
- 1/4 t turmeric
- 1 T dried chives
- 1/2 cups onion cut into 3/8″ cubes
- I put the garlic, onion, and Brussels Sprouts into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and used the saute function to saute, waterlessly, frequently stirring, on low for about 5 minutes till the onion was lightly browned.
- I added 1/4 cup water, salt, and the bouillon cube, and reduced the saute to low. I continued stirring but less frequently for about 3-4 minutes until the water was absorbed.
- I then added 1/2 cup water, the lima beans, carrot, cumin seed, garlic powder, turmeric, and chives; I mixed and cooked on low pressure for 3m.
- After the cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure, then mixed in the onion.
Ideas for the future
I should try cooking Brussels Sprouts this way again, but should go with just 1 or 2 minutes of low pressure cooking.
Labels: Artichoke, Brussels sprout, Gluten Free, Instant Pot, No Added Fat